Top
Stories
Featured Article Data Bank Focus: Getting Them to Stay February 8, 2013
Featured Article Data Bank Focus: See Where Workers Are Saying 'See Ya' February 8, 2013
Featured Article Data Bank Focus: A Shrinking Pool of Job Candidates February 8, 2013
Featured Article Honoring Diversity the Hawaiian Way February 8, 2013
Featured Article Honoring Diversity the McDonald's Way February 8, 2013
Featured Article Defending Diversity February 8, 2013
Featured Article Retirement Showdown February 7, 2013
Featured Article Visa Program Sparks Debate—Again February 7, 2013
Featured Article Homeward Bound February 7, 2013
Blog: The Practical Employer Workplace Social Media Policies Must Account for Generational Issues February 7, 2013
Blog: Work in Progress Kiss and Tell February 6, 2013
Latest News

A Bittersweet Win for Former N.Y. Bakery Workers

National Labor Relations Board affirms legal ruling that now-shuttered bakery’s owners didn’t play fair with union when seeking wage concessions that led to lengthy strike. Millions in back pay at stake.

  • Published: September 10, 2010
  • Updated: September 15, 2011
  • Comments (0)
Related Topics:

Workers who lost their jobs when Stella D’oro Biscuit Co. shuttered its New York plant last year could get millions in back pay and benefits as a result of a recent decision handed down by the National Labor Relations Board.

The 2-1 ruling by a three-member panel affirmed the June 2009 decision of an administrative law judge, which stated that Stella D’oro violated federal labor law when it refused to furnish detailed financial statements to the workers’ union to back up claims that it needed contract concessions in order to survive. The company’s “unlawful refusal to provide the union with requested relevant information precluded a lawful bargaining impasse,” the majority wrote in its decision.

The ruling confirms that the 136 workers were driven to embark on a yearlong strike by the company, and orders Stella D’oro to fork over back pay, with interest, as well as benefits for the two-month period after the workers offered to return to the job in May 2009, and before the company took them back in July.

Though the decision is a victory for the workers, it comes too late to help them get their jobs back. The plant closed in October, after Brynwood Partners, the private equity firm that bought Stella D’oro from Kraft Foods in 2006, announced it had sold the company to North Carolina-based Lance Inc., which moved the operations to a nonunion factory in Ashland, Ohio.

“You can’t put the egg back together, but you can make the employer pay for breaking the egg,” said Louie Nikolaidis, the attorney for the workers’ union, Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers Local 50.

Nikolaidis said a precise amount owed still needs to be calculated by the NLRB, but that back pay and contributions to the workers’ health and pension funds could total between $3 million and $4 million.

David Leach, deputy regional attorney for the NLRB, said Stella D’oro could still appeal the ruling to the U.S. Court of Appeals, but noted that it had agreed to set aside money for back pay and benefits in case it lost the case.

“There will be an economic benefit of some amount to the workers,” he said. “That’s unfortunately all we’ve got, but we can certainly pursue that and we will.”

An attorney for Stella D’oro, Mark Jacoby, said he had yet to speak to his client and could not comment on whether the company would appeal the decision.

Oscar-nominated filmmaker Jon Alpert is working on a documentary about the yearlong strike for HBO. Union lawyer Nikolaidis said the film will likely show that despite losing their jobs, the workers have few regrets because the private equity owners sought concessions that would have slashed wages, benefits, sick leave and vacation time. The wage cuts alone, the union contends, would’ve lowered pay scales to $13 an hour from $18.

“Even after the strike, even after they closed the plant, the workers still said they would have done it over again,” Nikolaidis said. “Brynwood didn’t give them a choice.”  

Filed by Daniel Massey of Crain’s New York Business, a sister publication of Workforce Management. To comment, e-mail editors@workforce.com.

 

Stay informed and connected. Get human resources news and HR features via Workforce Management’s Twitter feed or RSS feeds for mobile devices and news readers.

Leave A Comment

Guidelines: Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. You are fully responsible for the content you post.

Stay Connected

Join our community for unlimited access to the latest tips, news and information in the HR world.

Follow Workforce on Twitter
HR Jobs
View All Job Listings

Search