Top
Stories
Featured Article Data Bank Focus: Getting Them to Stay February 8, 2013
Featured Article Data Bank Focus: See Where Workers Are Saying 'See Ya' February 8, 2013
Featured Article Data Bank Focus: A Shrinking Pool of Job Candidates February 8, 2013
Featured Article Honoring Diversity the Hawaiian Way February 8, 2013
Featured Article Honoring Diversity the McDonald's Way February 8, 2013
Featured Article Defending Diversity February 8, 2013
Featured Article Retirement Showdown February 7, 2013
Featured Article Visa Program Sparks Debate—Again February 7, 2013
Featured Article Homeward Bound February 7, 2013
Blog: The Practical Employer Workplace Social Media Policies Must Account for Generational Issues February 7, 2013
Blog: Work in Progress Kiss and Tell February 6, 2013
Latest News

Chrysler wont hike exec pay indiscriminately as U.S. caps end, CEO says

The Detroit automaker was restricted from paying executives more than $500,000 as part of a 2009 rescue package financed by the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Troubled Asset Relief fund. General Motors remains under similar restrictions as part of its government rescue.

  • Published: July 27, 2011
  • Updated: September 15, 2011
  • Comments (0)
Related Topics:

Executive pay restrictions imposed by the federal government as part of Chrysler’s bailout have lifted with the company’s exit from U.S. ownership last week.

But CEO Sergio Marchionne says that does not mean the company will loosen the purse strings.

Assumptions that “we’re going to start distributing cash indiscriminately are probably misplaced,” Marchionne said July 26 on a conference call discussing Chrysler’s second quarter earnings with journalists and analysts.

The pay restrictions lifted on July 21 when Fiat acquired the government’s remaining 6 percent stake in Chrysler.

Chrysler was restricted from paying executives more than $500,000 as part of a 2009 rescue package financed by the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Troubled Asset Relief fund. General Motors Co. remains under similar restrictions as part of its government rescue.

“The compensation restrictions are all gone,” Marchionne said. Chrysler intends to “remain competitive” on compensation, but will stay in line with an industry trend toward more restraint on pay, he said.

Chrysler reported a net loss of $370 million during the second quarter compared to a $172 million loss during the period a year ago. The loss followed a profit of $116 million in the first quarter.

Chrysler incurred a charge of $551 million related to the final payment of U.S. Department of Treasury and Canadian loans that kept the automaker afloat in 2009.

“Modified” operating profit nearly tripled from a year earlier to $507 million, while revenue climbed 30 percent to $13.7 billion, the company said.   

Filed by Bradford Wernle of Automotive News, a sister publication of Workforce Management. To comment, email editors@workforce.com.

 

Stay informed and connected. Get human resources news and HR features via Workforce Management’s Twitter feed or RSS feeds for mobile devices and news readers.

Leave A Comment

Guidelines: Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. You are fully responsible for the content you post.

Stay Connected

Join our community for unlimited access to the latest tips, news and information in the HR world.

Follow Workforce on Twitter
HR Jobs
View All Job Listings

Search