Top
Stories
Featured Article Honoring Diversity the Hawaiian Way February 8, 2013
Featured Article Honoring Diversity the McDonald's Way February 8, 2013
Featured Article Defending Diversity February 8, 2013
Featured Article Retirement Showdown February 7, 2013
Featured Article Visa Program Sparks Debate—Again February 7, 2013
Featured Article Homeward Bound February 7, 2013
Blog: The Practical Employer Workplace Social Media Policies Must Account for Generational Issues February 7, 2013
Blog: Work in Progress Kiss and Tell February 6, 2013
Featured Article Will That Knee Replacement Cost an Arm and a Leg? February 4, 2013
Latest News

Motorola Mobility Cuts to Include 700 Jobs

Google-owned Motorola Mobility plans to cut jobs below the 2,500 mark and expects its headcount to drop to 2,256.

  • By John Pletz
  • Published: August 13, 2012
  • Comments (0)
Related Topics:

Motorola Mobility said it is cutting 700 jobs in Libertyville, Illinois, as part of its overall cutbacks of 4,000 jobs announced today.

"While we expect this strategy to create new opportunities and help return Motorola's mobile devices unit to profitability, we understand how hard these changes will be for the employees concerned," a Motorola spokeswoman says. "Motorola is committed to helping them through this difficult transition and will be providing generous severance packages, as well as outplacement services to help people find new jobs."

Motorola Mobility CEO Dennis Woodside said when he announced plans to move the company from Libertyville to the Merchandise Mart that it planned to keep headcount at 3,000. However, the company's 10-year deal for $110 million in tax incentives and job-training funds requires a minimum of 2,500 jobs. That was before Google Inc. bought Motorola for $12.5 billion this year.

Google told the state it planned to cut jobs below the 2,500 mark and that it expected its headcount to drop to 2,256, a spokeswoman for the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity.

Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel was told about the cuts late last week, a spokesman for the mayor's office told Crain's.

The incentives are doled out annually. If Motorola's headcount drops below 2,500 in a given year, it doesn't receive the tax benefits. The company can reapply for the incentives when headcount meets the threshold.

In a statement, the city said: "We expect them to create thousands of jobs in Chicago over time."

John Pletz writes for Crain's Chicago Business, a sister publication of Workforce Management. To comment, email editors@workforce.com.

Stay informed and connected. Get human resources news and HR features via Workforce Management's Twitter feed or RSS feeds for mobile devices and news readers.

Leave A Comment

Guidelines: Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. We will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. You are fully responsible for the content you post.

Stay Connected

Join our community for unlimited access to the latest tips, news and information in the HR world.

Follow Workforce on Twitter
HR Jobs
View All Job Listings

Search